November 30, 2007

Salman Rushdie in Budapest

As lines queued up in front of the store and waaay into the mall, us reporters gathered at the couch where Mr. Rushdie was going to sit. The colorful posters are the front covers of the Hungarian translations of the authors latest works. He was late in arriving and so we shuffled.Whether it was due to my humble Cannon or the others pushing in and my arm not being steady - it really does not matter. Bottom line is, these are the best photos I can offer you of this author with a gentle soul.
He sat down and the others positioned themselves either on his two sides or crouched down to below eye level with their cameras. That left me standing there conspicuously in the middle in front of him. As noone had actually said anything or introduced him - I felt the time was right.
"Good evening Mr. Rushdie - welcome to Budapest. Would you be so kind and autograph this book for my daughter, please." No pen? No problem, I've one you are welcome to. It was a miracle of miracles - never in my life had I produced a pen from my bottomless pit of a purse in such record time! "Thank you Mr. Rushdie."

21 comments:

zakscloset said...

what a precious photo!! great job!

Kate said...

That man is appreciated in all corners of the globe. You did a wonderful job.

dot said...

How interesting to have been there in person!

WendyB said...

Glad you got to see him. He randomly sat at my table at a cocktail party a few years ago and I was kicking my husband under the table but he (my husband) was oblivious!

GMG said...

Great job! I'm particularly delighted to see that you also joined the Blur Club... ;))

Annie said...

I've only read Midnight's Children and I remember feeling all aspin when I read it. It was a wild literary ride. Now I'm wondering why I haven't read the next and the one after that, etc.

Isadora said...

Thank you all for dropping by. It was exciting! I was surprised at how much at ease he was and again, saw virtually no security around - despite Erik's silly remark.

Wendy :) you too travel in fancy circles.

gmg :)) You know, I'll fess up. There was a fleeting moment when I thought I'll just pretend it was intentional and explain that I wanted to show the action as he walked in. (The things one would think of doing to spare the ego. Shame. :)

Unknown said...

nice photos!

turquoise cro said...

Congratulations! on getting that autograph!!!

• Eliane • said...

Well done!! I have never read his books though.
I saw him once at a concert in New York. Your pictures are way better than anything I was able to capture: you really needed to know he was there and close one eye and then, yep, maybe you could guess where he was.
BTW, thanks for all your nice comments. I appreciate your taking the time to stop by and sharing your point of view. :)

Lynette said...

What a fabulous story! I'm so glad you shared it.

Ming the Merciless said...

Cool photos! He lives in NYC and his very beautiful and young 4th wife just filed for divorce.

How does he do it? All the girls love him.

Ash said...

Lucky you!!!
He's one of my fave authors.

Lori said...

Wow, you were really in the right spot at the right time. I must admit I've never read any of his books. I think I'll have to now. I like the photos as they give a sense of motion. I'm glad you got his autograph!

dive said...

Woah! Cool, Isadora.

smilnsigh said...

Thankfully, this author is still alive!!! Thankfully!!!

I view your being able to take these photos of him, as a beacon for the freedom, which civilization still enjoys.

Well, some of us, still enjoy this freedom.

Even though those who would kill him, would kill our freedoms too.

Mari-Nanci

sam said...

lovely story, and oddly enough, the blurred photos work so well, they add to the mystique that surrounds the man, and how he has survived so long.

Amrita said...

wow what a meeting

sandy said...

Wow!

sandy

Andree said...

What a precious memory you have here.it doesn't matter if the photos are perfect. They are your experience.

Dick said...

Oh wow, that's great.